Monday, June 25, 2012

Illness and Arguments


Writing has been difficult this week, to say the least.  My one year old son Lyle was ill for a few days.  Taking care of him with a fever, while also looking after his energetic older brother, was challenging to say the least.  And wouldn't you know it: my muse was itching to get some work done the whole time.  Of all the times Pleiades could have chosen to be productive!

She kept calling me with editorial notes, as well as ideas to jot down for the rest of the series.  The overload of data, along with the overload of needy children, was too much.  I finally told her that as much as I wanted to work on my editing, it wasn't going to happen.

Me:  I just need you to give me a couple of days.  Once Lyle is better, I should be able to get more work done.

Pleiades:  I was on vacation not that long ago, and you were so angry with me about that.  Now I'm here and want to get some work done, and you're sending me away. That makes sense!

Me:  There's no need for sarcasm.

Pleiades:  Oh really?  Your writing is loaded with sarcasm.  I thought you loved sarcasm!

Me:  This isn't the time for it!

Pleiades:  Well, if you're going to be a sarcastic person in your writing, you have to accept that you're going to be assigned a sarcastic muse!

Me:  I just don't need it right now, okay?  I promise I'll get back to you after things have settled down here.

Pleiades:  Maybe I'll just go give your ideas to another writer who'll give me the benefit of their time.

Me:  You wouldn't dare!

Pleiades:  Oh, I wouldn't, would I?  We'll just see about that!

That was the last time I talked to my muse.  Even though my son is now better, she's ignoring me.  That's how inspiration goes, I guess.  If anyone sees my muse anywhere, could you please ask her to come back?  She annoys me greatly sometimes, but I do need her help.  And if you could ignore anything she may have to say regarding me and my work, it would be much appreciated.

The problem is that, most of the time, she's too much like me.  We writers can be a tricky bunch sometimes. It's logical that our muses are just as temperamental as us.

4 comments:

  1. Your muse was rude! You might have to give her a cut in pay. My inspiration does that too. It usually bothers me when I'm busy at work and not allowed to take notes.

    I agree, our muses are just as temperamental as us. :)

    Hope your little guy is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could've sworn I saw her lurking around at the DM Arts Festival, but it could've been just the wind. If I see her, I'll send her back your way! I think your muse and my muse went for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, *hugs*
    If it's any help, you and your muse make for VERY diverting little chats... maybe she's there afterall ;D

    So hope your son is feeling better. I completely understand how hard it is when you're not feeling the inspiration. I don't write, but I'm a designer, and the times when you have to fight through it are painful.

    Maybe you just need to make it up to her? Indulge her a little. Buy 'her' something pretty and inspirational? Take her on a walk to the beach at sunset, do something insanely fun and outside of your normal comfort zone together? Me and my besties recently went to Jenolan Caves in Australia, and seeing something so alien, strange, and outside of normal is NOTHING if not inspiring ;)

    Good luck! I'm sure she's still there, and you'll work through it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, post your son recovers soon.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete