Friday, April 25, 2014

V is for Vanity

For this drabble, I wanted to tackle the concept of vanity.  

Sure, we all like to look good, even if it's only once in awhile.  It can lift your spirits, and give you that boost of confidence we all need.  However, when looks become everything, it can be devastating.  Too many young people have had their lives devastated by the drive to achieve a level of physical perfection that simply isn't attainable without an airbrush or surgery.

There's more to life than physical beauty.



Vanity

A cluttered desk: facial creams, moisturizers of every scent a person could dream of, cosmetics designed to attend to any beauty related problem imaginable.

A drawer filled with tools: eyelash curlers, hair curlers, hair extensions, brushes for creating perfect designs on painted nails, nail clippers, cuticle nippers.  The list goes on and on.

A closet packed with clothes: designer dresses for day and night, sweaters, jeans, leggings, so many pairs of shoes that one couldn’t hope to count them all.

She looks around her bedroom, thinking of all the things she has.  Yet it’s never enough.  She always feels empty. 

10 comments:

  1. Great post! Great blog! I really must start looking into doing 'flash fiction'. Right now, I am into full-length children's novels (I am up on Amazon). I am in the middle of starting up a blog dedicated to reading and writing. I am visiting via the A-Z Challenge, using my genealogy blog.

    My blog is at GenWestUK

    ReplyDelete
  2. sad and succinct. A vignette worthy of the V

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured the feeling of vanity perfectly!
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
    Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do fear that this is something a lot of people face, your crystallized it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly many people go through this. We are presented with impossible standards and that's a shame. Another great drabble! Oh and inspired by you and another bloggers drabbles I decided to write my own for the letter "U". I gave you a shout out I hope you don't mind.

    LittleCely's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good point to make in so few words. There are more important things in life than how we look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought provoking! I couldn't agree more.
    #theawsomedish.blogspot.com visiting from the a to z challenge

    ReplyDelete