Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A-Z Challenge Sign-Ups and Express Yourself: Writerly Advice

I'd like to start this post by encouraging those of you who may be interested to sign up for the April A-Z Challenge.  You can do that HERE.


I LOVE this year's badge.  It's a perfect tribute.

Now let's move to the Express Yourself Weekly Meme, which is hosted by Jackie @ Bouquet of Books and Dani @ Entertaining Interests.


The question for this week is:  What are some writerly tips you've found helpful?

There's all kinds of advice out there for fledgling writers.  First, here's a short video from Neil Gaiman where he dispenses some advice for aspiring writers.  It's simple but true.




The next tip I'd like to share comes from Stephen King's excellent book On Writing.  

"Write what you like, then imbue it with life and make it unique by blending in your own personal knowledge of life, friendship, relationships, sex, and work.  Especially work.  People love to read about work.  God knows why, but they do." (pg. 161)

The last tip I'll share with you today comes from Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury.

"In quickness is truth.  The faster you blurt, the more swiftly you write, the more honest you are.  In hesitation is thought.  In delay comes the effort for a style, instead of leaping upon truth which is the only style worth deadfalling or tiger-trapping." (pg. 13)

Remember, you can always go back and polish.  Getting the initial heart of the story on paper, however, is more about feeling than analyzing every detail.  I'm still struggling to follow this piece of advice.  I tend to over think things and get trapped in the process, but I'm working on it!

What writerly tips would you like to share?


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for plugging the Challenge. Jeremy came up with the perfect badge.
    Wonder why people like to read about work? Better than doing it I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually struggle just to let the words flow on the first draft. I just want them to be perfect the first time, but that rarely happens. We should just write without worrying about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realise that you could sign up for A To Z already - thanks for the heads up :)

    Chippy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to get Bradbury's book. I have King's (it is excellent).

    Love his advice. Dixie Browning told me much the same thing when I first began writing. Just do it. And when not doing it, pay attention to the life around you- that's where the stories come from.

    Now, I must go add some match sticks to my masterpiece! LOL

    ReplyDelete